A number of teams have already looked into the availability of the Philadelphia 76ers’ No. 2 pick in the June 24 draft.
The asking price? Several sources said they were told that the Sixers want their trade partner to take Elton Brand off their hands. Good luck with that. With Brand set to earn $51 million over the course of the next three years, he’s virtually impossible to trade.
As much as teams like the Minnesota Timberwolves, for instance, love Evan Turner, I don’t think they love him that much.
The trade would work out in one of two ways;
- A combo of Jefferson ($12M), any other player on the roster, and the No. 4 pick for Brand ($14.5) and the No. 2 pick. The salaries match-up. You can try it with ESPN’s NBA Trade Machine.
- Or Jefferson and the No. 4 pick for Samuel Dalembert ($12M) and the No. 2 pick.
Holy Crap! Say goodbye to Al Jefferson everyone. I find it hard believe the Sixers actually feel they make this happen. I am also worried that the Wolves will jump into this deal just to land Turner.
Let’s look at the first option with Brand. Brand is 31, his production has decreased every season since 2005-06 to his lowest career totals of 13.1 ppg and 6.1 rpg, and his contract is not in line with how he is playing.
Let’s look at the finances.
Based on the rookie salary scale and as the No. 2 pick, Turner would make of $3.8M next season and with Brand’s contract at $16M, we are look at a wash with Jefferson ($13M), Ryan Gomes ($3.9M) and the No. 4 pick with a salary at $3.1M.
End result for the Wolves?
- Being proactive = positive.
- Salary Cap = wash.
- Talent difference going into next season = negative.
- Overall take away for the Wolves = not enough to consider this deal.
With only one pick in this year’s draft, the Sixers don’t have a lot of assets to offer and adding another player would throw the money off and the trade would not happen. If the Sixers are willing to offer their 2011 first-round pick in the deal, I would consider this a real possibility. But in it’s current form, I really do not see this happening.