The NBA Lockout lingers on with no end in sight, and tonight is a reminder of what Minnesota Timberwolves fans are missing. Tonight would have been the much anticipated debut of Timberwolves 2009 and 2011 first round draft picks Ricky Rubio and Derrick Williams. Rick Adelman would be showcasing what his veteran experience and savvy can bring to a young Timberwolves roster full of talent. The NBA season can be long, but there is always something special about opening night. Especially with a young team full of changes, there is always much anticipation to see what the offseason changes can bring to the table.
Top 5 things Timberwolves fans are missing tonight:
1. DEBUTS OF RICKY RUBIO & DERRICK WILLIAMS – Would Ricky Rubio have shown a glimpse of what he can become? Would he provide that one “showtime” pass for the fans? Would Derrick Williams have showcased the all-around game he did at Arizona? Would Rubio’s hair look good?
2. RICK ADELMAN’S COACHING STYLE – Would the Timberwolves be more visually appealing to watch? Would we finally be able to stop pulling our hair out with a Timberwolves coaching moves? Would Rick use any interesting rotations, such as Derrick Williams at the power forward with Beasley on the court OR testing Anthony Randolph at center? Would Adelman have a ‘stache for Movember?
3. IMPROVEMENT DEFENSIVELY – The Timberwolves have been one of the NBA’s worst defensive teams since Kevin Garnett left in 2007. Would they have at least shown they have the potential to be a decent defensive team? Would Anthony Tolliver got dunked on?
4. SHOOTING GUARD – Can anyone step in and show they belong starting at shooting guard for the long term? Is Wes Johnson a true shooting guard?
5. TARGET CENTER CROWD – What kind of atmosphere would Target Center be on opening night with all the young studs making their season or career debuts. My guess it’s going to be electric once this NBA lockout ends. At least until the Timberwolves are 20 games under .500 again. Would Jesse “The Body” Ventura be there?