The Minnesota Timberwolves played their worst game of the season on Friday night, losing to the Cleveland Cavaliers 98-87. Kevin Love was the lone bright spot as he went for his usual double-double, 29 points and 12 rebounds. The overwhelming theme from what both the media and the players were saying was that the game felt like last season. The Timberwolves were once again slow out of the gate, and never really seemed to pick up their energy throughout the night. Let’s take a look at things to ponder on while the Timberwolves play their next game at Washington at noon CST Sunday.
- The Timberwolves need shooting. After shooting 39% on Friday, the Timberwolves true weakness is starting to get exposed. Wes Johnson is providing nothing at the 2-guard and Wayne Ellington trips over his own feet every other time he makes a move. Unfortunately, the solution isn’t evident. The team more than likely would like to move Beasley, but his value is way down (especially with his injury last night). Maybe Martell Webster can provide something?
- The Timberwolves miss J.J. Barea. Barea clearly is one of the guys who can bring actual energy to the team. He will always be looking to make something happen on the offensive end. We need his leadership.
- Michael Beasley is s-t-r-u-g-g-l-i-n-g. He still doesn’t understand ball movement, and has been awful from the field. He’s shooting under 40% for the season.
- Derrick Williams needs more time. This may change now that Beasley has “sprained” his foot. He might be out for awhile, opening up the door for Williams to get more run. Some believe Wes should get more time as well, but he can’t dribble or shoot! Williams seems to get a little something going, only to get yanked. Get the man some decent minutes and let him get in his groove. One weakness I do see in Williams is that he’s either lazy, or lacks energy at times on defense and on the boards. He scored an effecient 12 points in 26 minutes on Friday.
- Rubio needs to start. Is anyone else tired of the Timberwolves getting off to slow starts, only to have Rubio pick things up? This happens in both the first and second halves usually.
- Can the Timberwolves PA Announcer STOP with the DARRRRKO! It makes you more annoyed with Darko than you already are!
- Anderson Varejao is the second coming of Sideshow Bob.
- My STARTING 5 for Sunday: Rubio, Ridnour, Wes, Williams, Love.
The Timberwolves play former head coach Flip Saunders and the Washington Wizards on Sunday. Flip now seems to be sporting a mullet? Interesting choice.
Who knows what to predict on Sunday. The Timberwolves should have been able to win by 10 on Friday, but instead they lost by about 10. The Wizards still haven’t won a game yet this season, which makes me nervous as they’ll be hungry for a win. But the Timberwolves should be fired up themselves, so look for this to be a well fought game.