Ladies and Gentlemen, Nikola Pekovic is back. Pek has struggled to find his place in the Timberwolves revamped offense mainly because Kevin Love and Kevin Martin take the majority of the shots. Today, Pekovic took advantage of the Celtics’ weaker front line of Vitor Faverani, Kelly Olynyk, and Brandon Bass. Pekovic was electrifying scoring 20 points, alongside 12 rebounds including 8 offensive boards.
Kevin Love had a similar stat line, with 23 points, and 12 rebounds, but Love also had a season high 7 turnovers. Kevin Martin also had 20 points, 6 rebounds, and 2 steals but only shot 1-7 (14%) from three. The Wolves bench scored 36 points as a unit. JJ Barea led the way in scoring with 13 points off the bench. Dante Cunningham had a great performance off the bench 12 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, and 5 steals. Talk about stuffing the stat sheet…
Avery Bradley had a huge game for the Celtics, leading all scorers with 27 points, 3 rebounds, and 1 steal. Vitor Faverani had 9 points, 14 rebounds, 5 blocks, and 3 steals. Corey Brewer locked down Jeff Green as Green only scored 2 points on 0-6 shooting from the field.
– Shabazz Muhammad is still out with a lingering right ankle sprain
– Keith Bogans (ill) and Courtney Lee (wrist) were out for the Celtics
– Chase Budinger was present at the game, and is participating in light basketball workouts, but will not be back until mid-late December
– This is only the second team Pekovic has reached 20 points this season, the first time being against the LA Clippers on November 11
– Kevin Love had a season high 7 turnovers
– Ricky Rubio failed to score over 3 points for the second straight game.
The Timberwolves square off against the Wizards in Washington on Tuesday, November 19th at 6:00 PM Central Time.