The first round was not nearly as eventful as had been promised by national media types, as only two trades were completed and zero current NBA players changed teams.
One trade saw the Denver Nuggets select Doug McDermott of Creighton and send him (and Anthony Randolph) to the Chicago Bulls for the #16 and #19 picks, which ultimately turned out to be Jusuf Nurkic and Gary Harris, respectively. It’s an interesting trade for both teams, as McDermott will not likely be an NBA-caliber starter, but Chicago appears to be beginning to add jump shooters while loading up for free agency, although taking Randolph’s contract back is interesting. Why not save that cap space instead?
The Philadelphia 76ers selected Louisiana Lafeyette point guard Elfrid Payton and eventually traded him to Orlando in exchange for Dario Saric (the #12 pick) and a future first round pick — likely the 2017 first round pick that was traded away in the Dwight Howard deal.
For Denver, Nurkic is a very nice pick, and Harris is a huge value at the #19 pick. Interestingly enough, the Nuggets just acquired Arron Afflalo this afternoon, so they’ve had a big day.
The Wolves selected Zach LaVine at #13 with Gary Harris, Adreian Payne, and others on the board. Saunders was indeed infatuated with the athletic specimen out of UCLA, and will look to pair him with Ricky Rubio in the Wolves back court.
Things did get thrown off a bit at pick #20 when the Toronto Raptors selected Bruno Caboclo, a Brazilian power forward that could be, as Fran Fraschilla put it on ESPN, “two years away from being two years away”. A strange pick at #20 when he almost certainly would have slid into the second round. There were a few somewhat surprising “reaches” in the twenties, but nothing too insane.
Here’s the complete results from the first round:
1. Cleveland Cavaliers - Andrew Wiggins, SG/SF, Kansas
2. Milwaukee Bucks - Jabari Parker, PF, Duke
3. Philadelphia 76ers - Joel Embiid, C, Kansas
4. Orlando Magic - Aaron Gordon, PF, Arizona
5. Utah Jazz - Dante Exum, PG, Australia
6. Boston Celtics - Marcus Smart, PG, Oklahoma State
7. Los Angeles Lakers - Julius Randle, PF, Kentucky
8. Sacramento Kings - Nik Stauskas, SG, Michigan
9. Charlotte Hornets - Noah Vonleh, PF, Indiana
10. Philadelphia 76ers (traded in principle to Orlando) - Elfrid Payton, PG, Louisiana Lafeyette
11. Denver Nuggets (traded in principle to Chicago) - Doug McDermott, F, Creighton
12. Orlando Magic (traded in principle to Philadelphia) - Dario Saric, PF, Croatia
13. Minnesota Timberwolves - Zach LaVine, SG, UCLA
14. Phoenix Suns - T.J. Warren, SF, North Carolina State
15. Atlanta Hawks - Adreian Payne, PF, Michigan State
16. Chicago Bulls (traded in principle to Denver) - Jusuf Nurkic, C, Bosnia
17. Boston Celtics - James Young, SF, Kentucky
18. Phoenix Suns - Tyler Ennis, PG, Syracuse
19. Chicago Bulls (traded in principle to Denver) - Gary Harris, G, Michigan State
20. Toronto Raptors - Bruno Caboclo, SF, Brazil
21. Oklahoma City Thunder - Mitch McGary, PF/C, Michigan
22. Memphis Grizzlies - Jordan Adams, SG, UCLA
23. Utah Jazz - Rodney Hood, SF, Duke
24. Charlotte Hornets (traded in principle to Miami) - Shabazz Napier, PG, UConn
25. Houston Rockets - Clint Capela, PF, Switzerland
26. Miami Heat (traded in principle to Charlotte) - P.J. Hairston, SG, North Carolina/D-League
27. Phoenix Suns - Bogdan Bogdanovic, SG, Serbia
28. Los Angeles Clippers - C.J. Wilcox, SG, Washington
29. Oklahoma City Thunder - Josh Huestis, F, Stanford
30. San Antonio Spurs - Kyle Anderson, F, UCLA