Predictably, there are plenty of opinions from around the internet on the Wolves’ haul in the Kevin Love trade, as well as the introduction at the Minnesota State Fair, and owner Glen Taylor’s irresponsible comments on what should have been a day of celebration and rejoicing.
Looking for a variety of opinions on this wide variety of topics? You’ve come to the right place.
– Let’s start with a relatively tame summary of the New Wolves’ introduction that can be found at ESPN.com. It talks a bit about Tuesday’s event in it’s entirity, and has a few good quotes from the new guys (and one really bad one from Mr. Taylor that you can certainly ignore if you so choose).
– Steve McPherson has a more entertaining recap of the introductions over at Grantland, complete with Vines of the New Wolves doing all sorts of state fair-type activities.
– Canis Hoopus has a good piece, as always, summarizing the events with some solid commentary thrown in as an aside.
– In the realm of more analytical bits more related to the trade itself, ESPN (Insider account required) did a round-table with their solid cadre of NBA folks: Tom Penn, George Karl, Amin Elhassan, Kevin Pelton, and David Thorpe. The commentary is surprisingly harsh on Flip Saunders and the Wolves, especially from George Karl. (Any animosity from not even being contacted about a Wolves job that he went on record as wanting? Maybe.)
While I’m solidly in the camp of “there’s no way we can say that the Wolves “won” this deal” because they’re the team trading away the top-six player, it’s hard to see how they could have done a whole lot better given the circumstances. For Karl to compare the Wolves’ current situation to the Denver Nuggets when they traded Carmelo Anthony to the Knicks is a bit unfair.
– Here’s a link to another McPherson piece, this one over at FanSided’s fantastic Hardwood Paroxysm. He positions George Karl’s statements in the ESPN round-table as “proof” of sorts that Saunders did the proper thing.
– Lastly, here are a couple of takes surrounding Thaddeus Young‘s inclusion in the Wolves’ return for Kevin Love. First, Dan Devine of Yahoo!’s Ball Don’t Lie from late last week, and secondly, from FiveThirtyEight. Both are good summaries of the transaction and of the usefulness of Young as a player.
Enjoy the rest of your Wednesday, and stay tuned for more player capsules.