Here we are, less than two weeks away from the start of the Minnesota Timberwolves training camp, and we are left wondering who will fill the final slots on the Timberwolves roster. While w await the answer to that question, perhaps we would be wise to ask a more obvious question. Such as: Where will the Minnesota Timberwolves find the minutes to distribute to all of the new additions to the Timberwolves roster?
Sure, the Timberwolves have parted ways with starting point guard D’Angelo Russell. But we can safely assume that his minutes fall to new veteran point guard Mike Conley Jr. To find where the minutes will come from this season, we have to look at the handful or so of bench players who are no longer on the Timberwolves roster going forward.
They are (in no particular order): SG Jaylen Nowell, SG Austin Rivers, F Taurean Prince, PF Matt Ryan, and SG Bryn Forbes. In their place, we have SG Nickeil Alexander-Walker, PG/SG Shake Milton, F Troy Brown Jr., F Leonard Miller, and eventually, SG Jaylen Clark.
Where will Wolves find playing time?
So now that we have the names, how will the Timberwolves scrape together playing time for the new arrivals? Well, we have the folks from Howls and Growls to thank for the overview:
The Timberwolves coaches will simply redistribute the minutes from last year’s players over this year’s additions. Will that work? In theory, it could work. But many of the minutes distributed to last year’s players came as a result of injuries to starting players, or their primary backups. (note: Jordan McLaughlin is back with the Timberwolves)
- Name Minutes Points Rebounds Assists
- Jaylen Nowell 1,252 704 170 132
- Austin Rivers 1,016 255 83 75
- Bryn Forbes 268 89 15 17
- Matt Ryan 181 75 12 12
- Taurean Prince 1,192 493 132 84
- TOTAL 3,909 1,255 412 320
- Per Game (82 g) 47.7 15.3 5.0 3.9
While we haven’t begun the most difficult task of assigning those minutes to players just yet, this establishes a solid foundation to do so. We will likely refer back to this data table from time to time as we try to assess how new faces will fit into the Timberwolves’ new rotations.
Here are a few of the latest Timberwolves to read after this:
- Timberwolves fans need to come to grips with important new NBA rule
- Timberwolves tack on a 2nd Exhibit-10 contract
- How does this team compare to the 2003-04 Minnesota Timberwolves?
- Offseason Report Card: Timberwolves get 3 As, 2 Bs and 1 C for offseason moves
- How many open roster spots are on the Timberwolves roster today?
- Darren Wolfson’s latest NBA Rumors point to exciting Wolves PG options